Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Capetown Dreams

Sometimes, I wish I lived by the ocean in a village. I would weave nets like my father taught me, and trade them for wheat, to grind and bake heavy, warm loaves. Flex my tired fingers, sore back, keep my eyes open. The tide would come and go, the seasons come and go: rain, storm, clear skies, gull cries. I wouldn't worry much, just when the men were out in their boats and a storm wrinkled on the horizon's forehead.

Live and breath and word hard. Walk with the black-haired fisherman boy along the coast and talk about building a house atop those foggy cliffs.

I would birth my children in saltwater and raise them in the sand. My life would pass in a shower of beautiful shades and colors, overlapping, rising and falling, until my soul went back to the deep press ocean where it began.

Sometimes I wish for a simple life.

Picture by my cousin, Jamey Pyles https://www.facebook.com/jameypylesphotography

No comments:

Post a Comment